Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The Rituals That Ground Us - Nourishing and Creating Trust


This morning I noticed the crab apple tree at 2427 is blooming again.  It only stays terribly beautiful for about three days and so I like to make a record of those days.  While making my records it suites me to put my children into the photo, in this photo their beautiful eyes closed with the morning sunrise.  I never know what records I will leave that will be precious to them. 


I also like to visit the honey farm just outside of Calgary.  When the snow is falling they have a Christmas weekend and children can pet the farm donkeys Isabelle and Snowball.  The children can come pet snowball or see a hive squished between two panes of glass.  There are employees / family members standing by to show how to find a queen and other interesting parts of the hive.  Hot chocolate, fresh honey, and s'mores are all available at this weekend honey festival.







When I was eighteen I was asked what I wanted for my birthday, and for whatever reason I said cinnamon buns.  Within 24 hours there were cinnamon buns covering every counter in the whole kitchen.  I am certain that I didn't share.  Cinnamon buns were our ritual, and a special and unique ritual it was.  I was thankful to access that on my 18th birthday.  I'll share a stock internet photo.  This is not from my 18th birthday.




Today I make crepes.  I make crepes for my children to create rituals, to earn that trust.  One day my children might think "my father... always made us crepes.  Every weekend.  We loved that about him.  We love that memory"  A crepe is 50c in eggs, 25c in flour, some butter and milk, and a hot pan to cook the batter quickly.  Our family, (Miranda and I) chose 'family rituals' in 2014 trying to find things that our children could trust.  What would our authentic selves be?  How could we be sincere with each other.  What would be 'us'.  What defines us and grounds us, and is consistent and fun and shows love between each other.  The most recent evolution this week of our Crepes is to make them with fresh eggs.  Miranda has again brought chickens into our lives this summer.  The Summer of 2021.









Whether it is photographs or baked goods I want to create memorable rituals for the ones that I love and surround myself with.  Not only my children I suppose, but all of those around me.  I hope that those rituals will sear memories into them and flood my loved ones with memories,  and draw smiles across their faces far into the future.  If we are anything, we are the memories that we create with the ones that we surround ourselves with.  

authentic, sincere, trustworthy....

Artas cinnamon buns are authentic, and trustworthy, and sincere.  To all of those making cinnamon buns with an insincere heart, or whos cinnamon buns are un trustworthy.... your cinnamon buns are only physically nourishing.

My moms cinnamon buns are superior because they could nourish my soul.


5 comments:

  1. My mom makes better cinnamon buns than your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't eat crepes without thinking of you. I loved last summer when Alice wrote out the crepe recipe for me and it said "two kinds of flour."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya! One of my tricks. Half whole and half all purpose. Makes a big difference.

      Delete
  3. The photos are beautiful!
    Great memories for your children.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.