Monday, June 7, 2021

Percy Williams and Doral Pilling

For Arta's birthday in May I recorded a video highlighting excerpts from the biography of Percy Williams called "I Just Ran" by Samuel Hawley. I chose excerpts that mentioned Grandpa Doral Pilling. You all may know some of these stories from Doral's javelin-throwing days when he was a competitive athlete (officially, at least) and an Olympian, but hopefully there is something new and interesting here for you to enjoy. 

https://youtu.be/XRYHJd7ixoQ

I put this together because I so much enjoyed videos that Arta and her family had shared and subsequent videos featuring Arta sharing glimpses into family history. It is so thrilling to think of how Doral's personality comes through in the pages of this book and of his influence on Percy; how he lit up a friend's life with his presence. What do they say about Doral- that folks loved him or hated him? You'll have to let me know in person or in the comments.

Love to all,

Lurene

2 comments:

  1. I loved watching this Lurene, seeing your face and hearing your voice. Thank you for this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I loved you're summary... better than reading the whole book! (well... I will likely enjoy the whole book too, but it was so great to have you pull out all the sections related to Doral. it made me so happy!)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.