Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Backyard Harvest: Is it too soon? When will it be too late?

So, I didn't plant too much in my new backyard this year: some chocolate-mint, a few tomato plants, chives and a Kale plant.  I've been wondering what to do with my chocolate-mint. It doesn't taste too much like chocolate, but it sure does smell like it.

It was a beautiful day on Sunday, and with September in Alberta, you never know when you might get an overnight freeze.  I decided to go pick all my mint and dry it out to use for tea later in the winter.


Alas, as I got down on my knees with some scissors, I saw this little friend.



I couldn't bear to take away what little food this friend has now that the fall is here, so the chocolate-mint harvest has been delayed for another couple of weeks.


Mary

4 comments:

  1. You have drawn my attention to the insects that are around me so many times, that now I have taken to photographing bees as well. I know with the bee balm, that if I just hold the camera on one of the now decaying blossoms, it won't be long until a bee stops and I can get my photo. I hope to taste some of the chocolate-mint tea later in the season at your house. Don't wait too long to harvest, now that you are in Alberta. One night frost could be just waiting 12 hours too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to choose which bee shadow photos to keep, so I have hundreds on my phone to send to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore your bee shadow photos. They are spectacular.

      Delete
  3. Mary? I am shaking my head over you and Bonnie. You catching the sky in a cup of tea and Bonnie photographing bee shadows. Both of you would have been burned during the Salem witch trials.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.