Sunday, September 13, 2020

Ria's Pear and Ginger Jam


Rebecca's pot at the far back
Ria's Pear and Ginger Jam mid centre
Ria's raspberry jam at the front
I like a family blog. 

We can put anything up here we wish. 

Here is a recipe for pear and ginger jam, from my friend, Ria Meronek. 

The jam is delicious. 

She has gifted it to me twice. 

I think it is time for me to do up a batch on my own.  Here is the recipe.

PEAR AND GINGER JAM

Approx. 8# of greenish pears (I use Bartlett’s) – to yield 14 c shredded

Sugar (just less than 2 kg)

Fresh ginger (to yield ¾ c finely grated ginger)

5 lemons (depending on size, if small, then more) (to yield ¼ c grated zest and ¾ c juice)

More lemons or bottled lemon juice.

Method:

Grate ginger, zest and juice the lemons

Put some bottled lemon juice in a very large bowl about half filled with water.

Peel the pears and put them in the lemon water to prevent them from browning.

Once the pears are peeled you have to work fast.

Core and then shred the pears (cuisinart works well) and immediately place the shredded pears in the large pot and cover with sugar, ginger, and lemon zest and juice. The proportions are:

14 c shredded peeled pears

5 ¾ c sugar

¾ c finely grated ginger

¼ c grated lemon zest

¾ c lemon juice

Stirring constantly bring to a boil and then simmer until it reaches the sheeting stage. Dip a spoon in the jam and let the jam run off. When the last been sheets/gels it is done. Alternately you can put a spoonful in a small bowl and cool it in the freezer to see if it gels.

Makes 14-15 x 250 ml.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy making it Arta, but I would suggest having help. I am told the jam is great with pork chops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - it was I, Ria, who posted the last comment.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.