Saturday, September 25, 2021

Podcast ideas?

I was thinking about cousins asking for ideas re podcasts.   It made me think, "hey, maybe I should be listening to podcasts too!" (I never want to be left behind).  So, here are some podcasts that have a Secwepemc (Shuswap) connection!


Not sure if I even told family members, but I was interviewed for a podcast sometime last year with my colleague Val Napoleon about the Indigenous Law Research Unit at UVic, and it included elders and law students from the Secwepemc Nation (elder Julianna Alexander from Splatsin, and Carolyn Belleau from Esketemc).  https://raventrust.com/full-fledged-tricksters-val-napoleon-the-indigenous-law-research-unit/


I went out to see more about what Raven Trust has on podcasts, and there is some great stuff.   This morning I listened to another one by Secwepemc hunter and artist Ed Jensen.  https://raventrust.com/podcast-ed-jensen-walking-the-path-of-respect/.  I listened thinking about Richard and Naomi out hunting, and hunting in all the right ways!   I was thinking they would both love this podcast.   He also talks about the original story about the relationship between the humans and the animals.   That part of the podcast would be a really great one for sharing with all the little ones at the lake in the summer!  You can also see Ed on a site about Salmon Restoration.   That is also a fun page to wander though! (especially you fishers in the family? :-)).  there is a gorgeous one minute video on the life cycle of the Chinook!  


There is also a podcast with ethnobotanist Nancy Turner, who has done tons of work with the Secwepemc.  If you have been enjoying Robin Wall Kimmerer' Braiding Sweetgrass, you will enjoy this discussion (of plants and food and more) https://raventrust.com/podcast-cultural-refugia-with-ethnobotanist-nancy-turner/ 

There you go... Secwepemc related podcasts for the day!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love, loooooove. These all look great. Can't wait to check them out.

    At first I thought you meant you were looking for ideas to start your own podcast, then I was like, me too, I should start a podcast. That idea was short lived. It only took me about 30 seconds to decide I didn't have the time or expertise to take on a project of that size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened the Raven Trust Podcast with you and Val. Hearing your voice made me feel right at home, and like I was back in your living room, sitting at the table chatting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunting podcast complete. I loved this. Going to send Naomi to Alberta this hunting season to learn with her Uncle again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I may have been one of the cousins asking so thank you for podcast ideas so that you for sharing. I shall listen!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.