Monday, January 10, 2022

Jan. 14th, 1906...Doral William Pilling

 I woke up this morning unable to sleep so I came to LarchHaven Blogspot to look up memories. So nice to see Arta's legacy, keeping her memories and love for writing alive. Arta had a very special relationship with her father, Doral. I went back to read Arta's Memory #40 about Doral.

Each of us will have very different memories of our lives with Doral. We are here on earth because he fell in love with Wyora and the story goes on. Now that I am nearing my 80th year, I know that I am more crotchety and cranky than I was a few years ago and yet I am far more accepting of peoples differences; differences that make us richer for understanding another persons point of view.

And at the end, photos of Doral's Scrapbook which he made in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's.

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #40 On Burying my Father

Doral William Pilling
January 6, 1906 - December 24, 1982
If the end of the life of my mother makes the list of memories I cherish, so does the end of the life of my father.

For me, that death is a list of saying good-byes.

Good-bye to the games he played with me.

Good-bye to the gallons of milk he delivered to me.

Good-bye to my model of intellectual curiosity.

Good-bye to the place where I could ask the deepest questions of my heart.
Good-bye to watching his quiet acts of generosity.
Good-bye to a gamer who played by gentleman’s rules. 
Good-bye to his story-telling.
Good-bye to his spontaneous (seemingly) practical jokes. 

Good-bye to the man whose role as a father moved into a deep friendship with me: friend to friend.       Arta        The End...as Arta would have said.



An article written on August 02, 1930. All about Doral.


OH,OH,OOOH,OH...I do not know how to insert in the right place or change the format but too old to figure out the right way. The readers job is to put it all together.    Wyona

 Next photo put here......

This is the caption on the article in two parts.
The following are close ups of the article.










3 comments:

  1. How fun to read this. I'm waiting outside a child's 'activity' but I'll read it and really digest those photos when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wyona. I'm gonna enjoy zooming in on each of these close ups. As for me, I'm still having a hard time with goodbyes. They really suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a blast! the cartoon/comic style is freakin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.