Sunday, January 9, 2022

1983, An Important Year

 This photo was a little gift dropped in the mail.  



I'm a bit befuddled.  These photos sort of put me into a daze today.  I'm not sure what responsibility these photos create for me.  I'm not sure how to respond.  A gift from someone that I don't know.




I don't know Barb and Pepe Cassinat.  I know the Krauses, I know the Sherwoods.  I know the Jones and the Cards and another douzen names.  I don't know Barb and Pepe.  There is a disconnect here and yet Barb has given me a powerful gift.  I don't even know how to offer a thank you.  Do I reach out through the bishop, how do I track down these people.  This meant enough to them, that an envelope was found in the house.  This meant enough to them that they drove over to 2427.  They knew that a letter with no address left in a mailbox would get to the right people.

Just one little photo.  Just a moment in time, captured on 'film' and developed at a local photography shop.  38 years this photo sat somewhere.  A moment in time.  An important event.  

She had on sweatpants and old running shoes, socks pulled up over her pant legs, and a fierce haircut.  No one beside her, eating from a paper plate.  Just barely noticing that the camera had come to capture her on the second *click*.

To the Johnson Family.  That was enough for this gift to get to the right place.

I've never seen this photo.  But I know that hair.  I know that posture.  I know that distant look, with eyes in a gaze just slightly pitched down focusing on nothing in particular.  That look means that she is in her mind.  Was she wondering about what to cook for dinner, or wondering how to collect all jackets thrown to the side as children ran to get into the game of red rover before it began.  No, she had one three year old, 9, 11, and a bunch of teenagers.  Maybe she was thinking about the next basketball game.  Maybe she was just enjoying the corn bust meal...

1983 was an important year.  I wonder what she was thinking about.





I love you.  You know who you are.  I will not figure out who Barb and Pepe are.  I hope that giving this gift was it's own reward for Barb and Pepe.

4 comments:

  1. Richard, thanks for posting this. I think. I already wrote this in a text to you, but thank you for being so thoughtful about this. I am glad you are in a "thank you for the gift" state of mind today. I am in a "denial" day -- trying to bottle up the tears that could spill out if I let them. Who am I trying to kid. Like I have control over the tears. They're gonna come out sooner or later... I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely gift and I enjoyed reading your beautiful words Richard. I also like that Arta is eating in every picture. She shared her love of food with all who would listen and participate. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, my first thought was "Ah yes! I remember that permed haircut". Looking at the photo, i could almost SMELL the perm solution! :-) A serious thanks to the Casinats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Barb Cassinat dropped off these photos. Barbara was Dorothy Caine's daughter, is anyone remembers her. She adored Arta. The last time I was at church at Bow Valley ward with Arta, I think Barbara came up to say hello. Nice of her to know how much those photos would be appreciated. That perm was severe indeed.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.