Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A little bird in the grass

As I was looking out Arta's bedroom window towards  Johnson's point, I noticed a rustling movement down by the compost bins.   I pulled out the camera (with its awesome zoom function), and got a closeup of this little bird.


At first, I thought it was a robin, but the colour looked a bit off.  









It was obviously looking for tasty treats in the leaves around the compost bin.  I caught a couple of video shots...a bit hard to hold it in frame, since I was zooming in.   The longer clip bumps around at the end since Penny jumped up on me to see what I was doing!



I flipped around in Arta's bird book, trying to figure out what it was, but to no avail.  I finally posted the picture to facebook, and a friend came back with the answer!   

Here is a link to more info, if you want to read more about this little bird (or listen to its birdcall).

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Varied_Thrush/overview#


3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a gift. It's funny what is valuable as you get older. Alice was sobbing last night because a photo of mine, where Rebecca and Mary were brushing her hair came across the screen. I think today what is valuable is re-impressing what was impressed on me, and trying to grow my farm as good as the one that she grew. Growing a farm is tricky. It's not a thing, or an act. It's space, patience, time, sunlight, and maybe lots of fertilizer. I'm good at providing fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of growing farms, I was wondering to myself today (between tears) -- in theory I know there is no one "right way" to parent, but why do there have to be so many wrong ways to parent. And when we try something and discover it is a "wrong way" how come it doesn't automatically open a secret door to the right way? Ack! The space, patience and time part are so hard for me -- I just want to jump in and do, do, do. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos, love the videos, love the varried thrush. What a precious little thing. I have never seen one before. A downy woodpecker has been waking me early in the mornings drilling for tasty bugs in one of the trees in my backyard. Love catching a glimps of this small woodpecker. And it is making miss my northern flicker friends (also from the woodpecker family) from Lethbridge. They have a thing they do where they drill on metal fireplace pipes that come our of house rooftops to communicate to eachother across the neighbourhood. So bizzare.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.