Friday, April 15, 2022

Longing

Saturday morning. 

Longing for 

the smell of muffins already cooling on a tray;
Bread rising on the counter; 

Compost buckets bleaching in the sink;
Vinegar-scented hallway tiles almost dry;

The New Yorker, 
dog-eared, with new  marginalia.
Words to be looked up later, 
and then dropped into conversation
as if they were everyday words.

Beside the computer, a quote or a phrase, ready to be crafted into a blog post.

I'm behind on my blogging, she would say, having set a goal of 1.5 posts per day.

I close my eyes, 
breathe deeply, 
and recapture 
the feeling
of smelling
freshly baked muffins 
cooling on the tray.

4 comments:

  1. this poem is awesome. I am in the kitchen, and missing those smells....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these familiar smells and sights you have captured. Thank you for sharing this. I'm behind on my blogging too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. These words are beautiful. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your poem again. It makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.