Wednesday, April 20, 2022

April 20th at the lake (a photo essay)

clouds scattered across the hill tops
Yesterday gave us a whole swath of weather options, some sun, some rain, some hail, some clouds.  

In the evening (while Steve was watching soccer with Glen and Janet), there were many clouds laying on the tops of the hill.  I anticipated we could look forward to another of those beautiful silvery/grey days.   

And when I opened my eyes at 6am (Arta's bedroom walls surrounded as they are by windows), it seemed I was right: the hills across the lake had completely disappeared.  And yet, by midmorning, things had shifted, and the blue sky re-emerged. 

Here are some photos and videos taken on a stroll down to the lake.  First, a short video capture taken from the road just below Moiya's.


I had too difficult a time trying to cull the photos, so feel free to tell me which ones capture it best!  :-).   I am sure you can imagine yourself standing right where I took the pictures.  These three are the same shot, but I was just increasing the zoom (I was imagining watching the old sesame street, with grover running back and forth shouting "Near" and "Far")




I really love how that one line of cloud is stretched across the bottom of the mountain, and how amazingly reflective the water was at that moment.  I also feel like the reflection of the point on the right (Johnson's Point) looks almost like a fish head, mouth open).

Here is another video, to give you the horizon, from down on the beach.



I love the early morning sun casting shadows down the beach



don't you want to swim out to the dock?

We dragged some chairs down to the water's edge to sit there for a while, listening to the waves lap in (and the sounds of bird conversation).  Want to spend 30 seconds sitting there with us?  Then check out the video below.

Penny did get some time chasing the ball into the water.  She will go grab it, but with a bit less enthusiasm that was the case with Kiwi the wonderdog!

One of the unexpected things (a bit less pleasant) was seeing a number of clearcut sites on the other side of the lake.   Here are three shots, with a gradual zoom in on the clearcut itself.


At first I wondered if they were ski runs...

presumably the trees left behind help prevent erosion?

I don't love this view...maybe it is not so great to have a zoom on the camera?

Glen did talk us through all the things they look at in clear cuts, and the questions about how to do them in less 'icky' ways.  

OK.  One last shot.   Here is a fallen tree on the beach.  It is not 'two' trees, but just one, that has split up the middle over the winter.   Pretty cool!



3 comments:

  1. Oh that feeling of joy mixed with melancholy I get when people post photos of the lake (and I am not there with them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that mixture is like chili-lime (each flavour amplifies the intensity of the other!)

      Delete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.