Wednesday, April 6, 2022

When to Plant your Sweet Peas

Sweat peas always make me think of Arta. If I remember correctly, they made her think of her own mother.  I know I can always count on seeing sweet peas growing at Moiya's place at the lake as well.

I was at the hardware store the other day looking for some pots to re-plant some indoor plants that are getting too crowded in their current containers.  The seed wrack had been set up for he season, so I stopped to browse.  This is what I bought.



The sweet peas went into my basket first, then I saw the peas, which reminded me of the huge garden Glen had created on lots 4 and 5 way back when.  I loved eating peas right off the vine, using my thumb nail to split the pods open and taking out the precious little green peas and popping them into my mouth. So two of those into the basket as well.  And to round it off, nasturtium, which is something I have grown before -- you can eat the flowers.  They are nice and peppery.

I'm pretty sure I recall Arta saying she always planted her sweet peas the first of April. Which confuses me becaue I think sometimes in April, there is still snow on the ground in Calgary.

Sweet peas also make me think of Miles who gave me the tip that if you pick all the sweat peas off the vine, expect the colour you love most (like maybe the deep purple/black), then the ones you  love most will turn into pods which you can later pick and harvest the seeds from to save to plan next year.  I love that idea. Because I do love to save and collect seeds.

Wish me luck with my gardening!


1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.