Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Birthday from Rebecca

Happy 81st Birthday
... butter cream icing on a fudge chocolate cake ...
Well.... I think I probably AM the first one up today, so know that I could phone to wish dad a happy birthday, but though it is a reasonable 12:30 lunch time here, perhaps 5:30 am is a bit too early to tell someone to get moving on enjoying every hour in this birthday day?

I will start with the blog version of the birthday wishes.

Dad, I took Alex off to see Shiver, a play, the other night that had a plus 14 age warning on it (not sure if that is for the folks over or under 14... that is, WHO really needs the warning).

Basically, there was a beheading, a kid bashing another kid's head in with a rock, a woman having sex with her son's friends, the closeted dad who eventually kills himself.

I was thinking it might have been a bit too much (for ME, not for Alex... he was not bothered by the substance, only by the FACT of having to go to see a play), but then I remembered one of the greatest gifts you gave me: the notion that the world is full of ideas and images, and that a person might as well be exposed to those ideas alongside their parents.

Yes.... I am grateful that you sat down with us to watch “I, Claudius” on TV when we were kids!

Thank you for the gift of opening me up to a world of questions, instead of only a world of answers. ... and of encouraging me to look for the next question behind every provisional answer. The best gift of all!

Happy birthday to you!

R

1 comment:

  1. I Clauuuudius! I remember you and Bonnie visiting us in Brussels and seeing it no TV, then convincing us that we needed to watch it. That or there was no other English program on the TV. Remember. With a British accent and emphasize the first syllable!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.