Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Moment of Inertia

What size should the first cut be?
Richard walked into my kitchen.

“Why are you doing bringing that container full of stuff over here,” I asked, looking at his laundry basket full of two fillets of salmon, a box of baggies and a bottle of lemon.

“I am just back from Costo and see a cousin party in the making next door, so I have slipped over here.”

 ... David's day of rest ...
“Do you do this often?” I asked, watching him cut large portions of the salmon, sprinkle it with dill weed, pour on a bit of lemon juice and wrap it in tin foil before bagging it.

“Yup, for two years, but I am usually at home – never saw a chance to hang out like this with my cousins before.”

David had been busy on his computer.

Richard and David had been bantering computer talk; Connor was sitting at the table picking on the guitar.
... hunger ... Mati's big boss ...
The smell of a Nepalese vegetarian feast was sizzling on the stove for Mati was on the other side of the room, cooking, some chopped cilantro on the counter to be added at the last possible moment.

Embarrassing, you caught me with a book!
I am going to look like a nerd!
Only one loaf was left of the four loaves of banana walnut bread that Mak had made that afternoon.

When he had been toasting the walnuts before adding them to the batter I told him his trips to epicious.com are making him a far better cook than I ever was.
I wondered what male cousins talk about at such a party.

I couldn’t get in on the conversation. I listened for a while. They were animatedly discussing mechanics, specifically information that coupled torque and the moment of inertia.


It appeared that all was right with the world, so I left the computer-game player, the fillet cutter and the guitar picker to their cousin party,

3 comments:

  1. I still hate missing a good party. I hope everyone had a great time, nerdy books or no nerdy books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about cousin-party by proxy! Given current theorizing about slippages in time and duration, who is to say that the party is over? or that i missed it at all?!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.