Saturday, April 30, 2016

Richard Strauss

Richard Strauss, by Max Liebermann, 1918
What is Richard Strauss?

That is the question I woke up with this morning.

Tonia had picquet my interest in hearing a bit of Elektra before I went to see it this morning.

She had done this by saying she was going to go out and hear a bit of The Light in the Piazza, and I thought, why not.  Why not that and a bit of Elecktra.  But hearing a bit wasn't enough.  An hour later I thought, hey!  The opera is only a bit over two hours long and now I have listened to half.  And who is this composer?  Late romantic and early modern.  Not the Richardt Strauss of the waltzes I know.

Nice to have electronics that let me check out my misperceptions.

And I had my question answered and found out that I know his works, but I don't know who compoased those works.

And now I do.

Here is a partial list:
Der Rosencavalier,  and Salome for operas 
Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks for a tone poem
If I am ever in a contest that has "music" for a category, I should not pick it.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.