Friday, August 18, 2017

Re Super Smash Bros


Video games vie with board games for entertainment at our house. We used to have Rook and Bridge as the games of choice. Now the kids here don’t even know those games.

David owns Super Smash Bros. for WiiU. Michael has been studying its manual, even though his older cousins tell him that going to the book is not really the way to learn to play the game. Michael and Alice play in the morning until Duncan wakes up – really they are lying in wait for their older cousin to join in the fun.

I did have a major show down with Alice. She was taking apart the controllers in what seemed to me like a major tearing apart of the equipment. She headed off to find her mother and tell on me.

Why should I have tried to interfere? I don’t know the difference between a Wii Remote and a Nunchuk. At any rate, she went right to her mother to tell on me and I went right to find someone who could be a Help Desk to me. All I found out was that I was wrong, that equipment can be assembled and reassembled by a four year old, just not by me.

I can also sit on the couch and attempt to play. So many characters are bouncing around the screen that I think I am winning until the final scores come up at the end of the game.

The day has come that I fear – the day when I find out that this tiniest little family is leaving. They are my reward for having a baby when I was forty. Now I am closer to double that age than not, and I get to have the joy of having grandchildren, though I am old enough to be their great-grandmother. 

This morning when I found out that their departure time is tomorrow morning I started plying Michael with offers of happiness if he will stay for an extra week with me. I am the kind of grandmother who would let him play Super Smash Bros 24/7.

A certain fear enters his heart that I will be able to convince him to stay for a red colour tips his ears and he leaves his play and goes and stands close to his mother. He also tells me that I can’t fool him, that I am just like Wyona. I told Michael if he stays we will have ice cream sugar cones twice a day, hot dogs and lots of pop.

And to keep Duncan as well, I said that the menu will be beans and rice. That was enough for him. I have one taker who will stay with me longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.