Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Betty's Brownies

Betty's Brownies from the
Manna from Heaven Johnson Cookbook
Mary and I have been wanting to make brownies.

We asked Rhiannon and Naomi if they wouldn’t like to taste some tonight. 

Disappointingly, they said no.

 I thought that was the end of it, but Mary couldn’t take it any longer and in a 9 pm flurry, turned on the oven, pulled out the butter, the flour, the sugar and the cocoa and started measuring ingredients into her 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. 

The cocoa was piled so high that I asked her how many cups of it she was putting in. She said, “I am at 2 ½ right now”. I asked her what recipe she was using since my recipe calls for 1/2 a cup.

One from the web, she said. I went over to look at it, and she did as well, with perfect amazement. Whoops, I have just put five times too much cocoa in the pan.

“Just bag it. Waste the butter and start over.”

No.

She proceeded to double every other ingredient, and leave the cocoa with its multiple of five.

She poured the whole thing (doubled) into one 8 1/12 x 11 pan.

“Aren’t those going to be kind of thick.”

 “Too late now. I have them in the pan.”

... brownies with a buzz ...
I am always curious about how Mary cooks. 

Yesterday’s cauliflower crust under our pizza was really a Moosewood Variation of a crust made from zucchini. Now it was delicious, so I am not going to give her a bad review on that.

But the brownies? Well, Naomi packed some this morning for her friends. Then she tasted them and put the container back.

 “My friends will hate me if I bring these for a treat.”

I think the brownies will give the same buzz as a morning cup of coffee.

Would it be right to insist Mary eat them all? 

Would it cure tonight's migraine?

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.