Thursday, November 9, 2017

Visit to the Library and Archives Canada

I had a wonderful time today in the National Archives of Canada. I didn’t really know I was going there when I rode the bus with Mary into Ottawa. I had in mind to see the Bank of Canada Money but Mary pointed out the names of the buildings to me along the street that runs past all of the important government buildings, and I thought, why not start down at the very end, since I have all had an interest in what has been collected in archives. Actually the name of the building is Libraries and Archives of Canada (LAC).

They have a display up for the centennial and were asking two essential questions: how would you describe Canada? and what does being Canadian look like. I glossed over the questions, reading them, but not really responding as I might have if I were writing an exam. There was a room in which paintings, maps, coins, old leather books and movie posters were on display. There was also a desk and some 3 x 5 cards asking people to write the answers to those questions for they were going to be collected and some of the best would be retained to go in the archives. At that point, I began to be more thoughtful about the question, for I took a pencil in my hand to respond.

Colonel John Hale
Library and Archives Canada

see the Temple Doors that are being closed on war
in the upper left hand side of the picture
Among the showcases where I stopped to look at artifacts was a letter written by Voltaire called “A Letter to a French Minister”. He was not singing the praises of the new land called Canada but rather telling people this might not be the place to come. But hey! It was Voltaire. I hung out of the display case that held an original leather bound copy of a book by Samuel D. Champlain. I loved the huge fold out map at the back of the book which had been fully displayed – and was lots of fun since the map showed what they wanted the new world to look like, not what it really looked like. That included a beautiful big sea at the top of the North pole. The purpose of the book was to advertise possibilities in the new world to investors.

While I was in London I saw lots of pictures painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

The one that hung on the wall was entitled Colonel John Hale.

The painting was a product of its times

Behind Hales was a painting of the war on the Plains of Abraham. The desk on which he was resting his arm had books and pamphlets from both English and French friends.

The Selkirk Treaty signed by the 5th Earl of Selkirk,
for King Charles III


 ... you can see the animals at the bottom of the treaty ...
Hanging out alone in an archives display is not everyone’s cup of tea. Nor is taking an online course and indigenaeity, but I am doing that as well.

And of course I am learning about treaties and proclamations that are absolutely new to me.

 One is the Selkirk Treaty so imagine my delight when I saw this document in a case before me with original signatures. The Chiefs’ names were there, and beside them were pictures of animals: 2 fish, a fox, a bear and a lizard.

Oh, lucky Canadians, to have such wonderful archives!

Arta

2 comments:

  1. thanks for these great posts! So much to discuss re treaties and our obligations under them. LOVE the names there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to get down close to see the signatories on the treaty. So good to have that magnifying glass so that I can bring up the image on my own screen and take a good look at it. Have been wondering if I would ever sign an animal beside my name, and if so, which one.

    Maybe a swan, though the swan is not an animal native to the place I grew up. Maybe I am going to have to choose a Richardson's ground squirrel.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.