Thursday, November 30, 2017

Young Marx

Shades of music hall … Rory Kinnear and Oliver Chris. 
Photograph: Manuel Harlan
Mary said that she was taking Xavier and Naomi to Young Marx, the next in the NT Live productions on Thursday.

Michael Billington reviews the play in The Guardian. He declares "farce, family and finances but not quite the full Marx".

I wondered, after reading the review, what the full Marx would really look like.  I have only come to him tangentially through courses.

I looked for famous quotes from Marx.

I did not know any of the first set:
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please. 
The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs. 
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Young Marx
There is another review in The Guardian by Peter Bradshaw.

He calls this play a bromance, a category I haven't really thought of.

In any case, I love these reviews.  They give me food for thought, and food for questions that I am going to ask my grandchildren, whichever ones will accompany me.

And I have to be ready, should they ask some questions in return.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.