Sunday, April 28, 2019

Athens - Wyona and Greg

Athens 

I planned another day off the ship in Athens, taking the bus, metro, tram and heading off to the Acropolis Museum which Greg was keen to see.

.... trolley in Athens ...

We headed for the tourist information, found out that we should take bus 843 not 859 like google said and we found out where to buy the bus ticket.

We were so smart, took the bus, took the metro, got off the metro but could not find a tram stop.

I asked a girl who got off where the tram stop was located.

We saw it but had to cross three lanes of traffic to a medium, cross another three lanes, cross the tram tracks, run up a path next to the tram tracks and there was the tram stop.

We made it.

Tram 3 came and we took it.

The ride was amazing.

We went by the sea, up some interesting streets and saw that all the buildings were five or more stories all the windows had balconies covered by large awnings, spied the ‘Hop On Hop Off’ a number of times so we knew we picked a good route.

... Athens apartments with awnings ....


When I went on google the night before all the stops were in Greek and written using the Greek alphabet.

So I carefully copied all the stops we needed in Greek.

Greg went up to check the map while we were on the train to see if we were on the right track to get us to the Acropolis Museum.

photo taken from bus in Athens; notice how long and hilly
After coming back and sitting down, he told me my Greek was perfect so we were on the right track, and we should get off one stop before the end of the ride.

Trouble was, the tram stopped two stops too soon and the tram track was blocked off. After walking, too long for me, I saw a bus 40.

This was the same bus I saw at the bus stop near the ship.

I informed Greg that I could not walk any farther so I was taking that bus 40 back to the ship.

by the sea on tram ride
Asked a Chinese girl which side of the street I should be on to get back to Piraeus, the port.

Followed her instructions and waited for the bus while Greg walked on without me.

The bus went through some pretty scary streets but I just took a seat, watched people get on and off the bus and held onto my bag.

So 50 stops and one hour later I was the last person on the bus and got kicked off but there was the ship and a smile on my face.

Safe at last!

Wyona

4 comments:

  1. Wyona, you are truly a world travellor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your Greek is perfect! You were my travel-inspiration from a very young age. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Wyona and Greg, I'm taking a chance that I might connect with you after many, many years. Wyona, we went to university together in Calgary in 1962, and your confidence and good humor was a life saver for me - the little scared girl from Milk River. We became fast friends and you were my bride's maid in 1965 when I married Dave Clarke here in Lethbridge. I have many, many fond memories at your house and getting to know your brothers and sisters. I decided that since it is your birthday in a couple of days and that we are now 75!!!!, I would like to renew old friendships. If you are interested and able, I would love to hear from you! With love and best wishes for a wonderful birthday and for many more years. Barbara Hughson Clarke

    ReplyDelete
  4. My email didn't get included: barclar44@gmail.com Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.