Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tourist Photography

 ... out of bus window on the way to Vaikom, India ...
The fact that I can take my handheld camera, sit on a bus and out of the window, photograph the world as it is going by means a lot to me.

 I take pictures and have them run on my desktop; every ten second they change.


... bicycle parts and frame ...
 ... on the back of man walking down the street ...
I run my trip over and over again, often wondering, “Did I really see that?"

 But here it is on my screen.”

I am pretty well aware that the pictures are only invested with meaning for me, but what a delicious way to bring back images that are fading so quickly for me.

The color is there, that moment when I was amazed to see this comes back, and I get to study the background which I probably didn’t see at all when I took the picture.

I learned how to do bad photography when I was with Wyona on the 16-day train trip up and down the coast of England, Wales and Scotland.

... woman preparing food on the other side of the stream ...
Now I have been doing it on bus excursions, and find myself studying the people who walk along the streets when the bus stops at red lights.

I try to capture a traffic jam, the sunset, small markets along the street, colourful bill boards, trying to figure out if their images are commercial or political.

When we were in Viakom, I noticed that when I took a picture, if there was a child in it, they wanted to come over and see themselves.

When I saw a woman weaving a mat I had to capture her toes, holding the reeds firmly to the ground. I saw a woman at the side of a stream, preparing food.

She was cutting the tops and the bottoms of vegetables, or little fish, I couldn’t tell which.

I wanted one of the small metal rings a man was making and I seemed to need two of the simple nesting baskets a woman sat cross-legged. I have no idea why I send Wyona off to do my bargaining.

She is fast.
... weaving a mat ...

A look from me to her, telling her I want that, and she will change directions and go do the negotiating.

 Her method seems to be to find a guide close by and have him be the go-between – how much does she want for one basket?

 How much does she want for two baskets?

 ... Wyona having purchased baskets ...
... the chain of flowers  on her neck smells like gardenias ...
... note the red decoration on her forehead ...
 
If she can’t find someone who can do that, she goes right to the merchant and somehow it is possible for her to make trades of money and goods without knowing much language.

Fun.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. Such a fantastic close-up of the basket weaving and I sure love the picture of my mother holding on to her new basket. This trip just seemed like a once-in-a-lifetime experience and you all got to have it. How fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.