Wednesday, May 29, 2019

24 Hours with Bonnie, Part II

Poster Credit: IMDB Sir (2018)
I don't want it to see that all I do is go to the movies, but Bonnie and I did take part of our 24 hours together to go to the Indian movie, Sir (2081) directed by Rohena Gera.

A user review says of this film "Very engaging romantic story set in Mumbai, India where the class/caste system is very real and a definite obstacle to love. The storyline is subtle and sweet, no clichés and some real education for us westerners about how people live in modern India."

I couldn't agree more.  The film opened up a lot of discussion between us on our way home -- which is maybe the goal of every film.

But tis film nails the caste system in a way I hadn't seen before.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. The fabric market made me think of the fabric market we went to in China together. So many stalls. So many colours. Do many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always remember that market too. A strong man was cycling in it. He was pulling a cart full of fabric. He must have never seen a white woman with snow white hair before, for he locked eyes with me. His legs kept pedalling, he almost had to stand to move the weight of the cart each time his foot went down. He quit watching what was ahead and his head swivelled until it would no longer turn and then he went back to watching the road ahead. For me the moment was like two human beings really acknowledging that the other existed. Strange to me. Just a moment in China that I can pull up as though it were yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.