Monday, May 6, 2019

the world is brimming with fun


Dusk at the S.A. warf. Photo
taken by Bonnie W.  Johnson
during photography lesson
from Tonia Bates, 2017.
Yesterday David and I went for a walk on part of the Salmon Arm Nature Bay trail. We drove to the east end of Harbourfront Drive, finding a spot right in front of the gated entrance. We had made a plan the night before that had us arriving at 9am, but had allowed ourselves the weekend luxury of getting there when we got there.

David Camps-Johnson, circa 2012, in the role
of Meadow Lark in a summer art camp play
with Runaway Moon theatre in Enderby, BC.
It was 2pm. David set the pace. I found myself swinging my arms to keep up with him. My contribution to our conversation mainly consisted of exclamatory words and phrases: "wow", "oh", "look at that!" I would grab his arm, ostensibly to point something out to see, but catching my breath may have been the motivating factor for my frequent sightings.

Nest and flag by
David Camps-Johnson, age 6,
at summer art camp.
If you choose to go there this month, you can be assured you will see some turtles sunning on a log in the marsh. Further along we headed out on the first boardwalk and saw some amazing carpentry in progress by some beavers. In the yellow-leafed trees, we spotted what I think was several orange-headed tanagers.

Perhaps our next outing will include time at the Tom Brighouse Interpretive Center in  Marine Park near the warf. I could use a refresher on what to watch for on the walk. According to an article in the Salmon Arm Observer,  Mondays at 10:30am and Wednesdays at 10:00am should be flagged in my calendar each day this summer. In July and August 2019, Mondays there will be free guided nature walk along this same trail, and Wednesdays a two-hour lecture by a guest speaker at the Interpretive Centre.

Fun fact: David and I heard Tom Brighouse play the piano and speak at the Opening night of the Flight exhibit.
Post card invitation we received
from local artist to attend show.

Friends outside
SAGA, 2013.

Artist: Marla Bjorgan.
Hand-built ceramic bowl
with drawing of bird in
embryo. From the art
collection of Mary Johnson.
If you click on this link you will see a photo of Mr Brighouse speaking about birds to children last year. In my mind, I shall always picture him wearing the green frog/lily pad tam he wore that evening I spent looking at local art with my son. See if you can spot Mr Brighouse's unforgetable tam in this photo.



Quiz: The world is brimming with fun during which month according to Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe?

PS: Happy penultimate day of your 78th year on planet Earth, Arta.






7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your good wishes, Bonnie. I have 48 hours left on earth as a 78 year old. And then I begin a new journey -- one as a 79 year old. To answer your question, I think it's May, it's May, the lusty month of May. Chaucer thought April is the cruelest month, as a fun tip for you. I couldn't find the tam. I loved Marla's dish and all of the other pictures. Thank you for alerting me to the times of nature walks down at that end of the Shuswap Arm. I shall try to get to some of them this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found 24 hours for me that I thought had already gone by! How many times have I wished for an extra 24 hours? So many times.

      Mr Brighouse's hat is well camaflauged in the green trees in the background. Thanks for looking for it. =)

      Delete
  2. The tam is on the head of the middle person in the three person photo. His green hat blends somewhat into the trees in the background.
    Here's the link again if you want to take a second look: https://www.saobserver.net/community/open-for-interpretation/amp/
    Here's a close-up of his face and hat. I hope it makes you smile. His hat was the most memorable thing about the evening for David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, being a reptile and amphibian person, I loved the hat. Leo has one in the same genre that is a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of hats, Hebe has a beautiful hat, but someone in her class has the same hat, so Hebe won't wear hers, since she thinks the other person will notice her now, as though the other person hasn't already noticed. Anyway, Catherine had to buy her a hat that was less conspicuous. What Hebe picked out was a large pink furry hat with a unicorn head on it, as if THAT is't conspicuous. But Hebe doesn't feel singled out in it, so she wears this garish, extravagant hat and feels quite hidden from sight in it. Oh, blessings on all hats -- whether they make a person feel inconspicuous, or just hide bad hair.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.