Wednesday, May 29, 2019

A New Toaster

Ria and I went to the thrift store today, The Churches of Salmon Arm Thrift Strore. I was looking for a used toaster. I purchased a Silex Proctor model ($2.00), a fistful of Lego ($5.00), and 2 wire cooling racks ($2.00). I was wondering why I had to get the cooling racks. I have 5 already. Still, sometimes I am looking for just one more place to put a pizza or cookies that are coming out of the oven faster than the batch before is cooling.

After that big cash splurge, Ria and I kept strictly to my list – except in the grocery store. Why is it that just walking through the isle of Save-On Foods triggers ideas of other products to buy: celery to put in the turkey soup tomorrow; eggs for breakfast; avocados for guacamole – none of them on our list but all of them floating in my mind?

The day was hot. The pavement in parking lots was blasting the heat back to the heavens. Even tonight at 6 pm the temperature is 30 degrees in Sicamous. The temperature at the lake feels cooler. The first gentle breeze of the katabatic wind is at my shoulders as I type and I can feel the temperature dropping.

Ria and I have eaten all of our meals in one corner of the porch. There is no feeling of loneliness although there are only two of us. During the day we have seen the shine on the water as ducks tip their heads down looking for fish. The alpha crow flies through the air, cawing and taking care of its territory. The traffic of the trans-Canada is a gentle hum behind us. Ria can hear the quiet buzz of insects in the trees.

There is a vase of lilacs on the kitchen counter: purple flowers and each bud is rimmed with a white edge. I cut 3 fuchsia peonies for our table at lunch. Ria asked me where I would move if I went somewhere else. Since we are well into Spring and everything is so perfect here, a move anywhere else would be a move backward.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.