Sunday, May 5, 2019

Online Sunday School, p 135 - 181

On reading The Legacy,
Weeks 14 to 18, pg 135 to 181 of the
Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada


In a small Arctic town struggling
with the highest suicide rate in North America,
a group of Inuit students' lives
are transformed when they are introduced
to the sport of lacrosse.
I read this chapter slowly, in small increments since I needed to spread the weight of it over a number of days.

But I can say now, done. I finished those pages.

I think it was trying to read between the words that made this such hard work for me.

The Legacy chapter is going to remain in my mind – bits and pieces of it – reference to “offenders with FASD” or paragraphs on “Overrepresentation of Aboriginal people in prison”. I read because I want to know this data, because there has been a whole commission bringing these facts before me, and mostlybecause I want to inform myself so that I can see as they were seeing as the witnesses came before them.

I want to go out and see the new movie, The Grizzlies (2018 Miranda de Pencier)  since I think I will learn something about the real world I am reading about.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. David, Joaquim and I got to see the film The Grizzlies back in early January thanks to the Shuswap Film Society. I appreciated the "trigger warning" that was given before the film began, so that those who were not able to see/hear about the topic of suicide that evening could go take care of themselves and see the film another time. The movie bore witness to the resilience of the peoples of Kugluktuk. I think we all cried and all laughed during the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. laugh and cry. that describes it here too. I loved the "one goal!" part of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to talk about the film a bit more. Probably I want to talk about it in the context of our own Arctic Film Festival and in the context of the class I took on Law and Inuit Film. Perhaps there is an essay in me. But will I find the time to get it out?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.