Tuesday, June 25, 2019

I Am Stuck

Can you spot any boulders?
I have been cleaning out the underbrush that is by the piles of sand, clay and good earth to the east of my house. 

Those are the three ingredients I mix together when I want to lay soil down somewhere.

Right now rain has soften all of the earth and it is easy for me to tidy up those piles.

Later in the evening I started clearing brush. I cut a tree to my left, just about down to the ground. Then I cut one to the right in the same fashion.

Then I stepped back to view my work, turned around, my foot hit a boulder behind me, and I fell backward into the v-shape between the two trunks.

 I could not get up. I tried my best to go forward, to wiggle backward, to throw one of my legs over one of the trunks, then the other, but I couldn’t find a way to roll over and get to my knees so I could get up.

I had to call Dave Wood on the telephone I always carry with me.  Well, I don't always carry it with me, but I happened to have it on me tonight.

"Hi Dave. It is Arta. I am stuck. Can you come and help me?”

“Where are you?”

“Just come over by the east side of my house and I will call you when I see you.”

I don’t think I will ever forget the look on Dave’s face when he came around the corner and saw me.

He loves real life drama and I was giving him some.

We tried a number of strategies.

Finally Dave hugged me from behind and lifted me up.

And that is how I became unstuck.

It is also how a developed a new love for my telephone.

I am going to try to always bring it with me and never forget it.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. You got me on this line: "
    It is also how a developed a new love for my _________." I thought it would end with neighbor. Ha ha ha. I'm so glad you are unstuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You killed me with this story. So great. I am glad the story didn't kill you. (my black humour coming out)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you can't even know how proud I was to read you had your phone on you. Question #2 -- did you have your nitro on you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. It was a miracle day for me. I had my phone and my nitro, and even better, my phone was charged. I didn't need my nitro. I wasn't having a racing heart as I was sitting on the forest floor wondering how to get up. I just needed help standing up since I could see I would not be able to do it on my own -- at least from that position. I wish I could say that I did it on my own. But I couldn't. Thank you Dave Wood for having some spare time and for picking up the phone when I called.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.