Monday, June 10, 2019

New Lettuce in Salads

... three lady slippers seen on a walk by the stream ...
Glen invited Greg Bates, David Pilling and me to supper on Sunday night.

“The four bachelors”, he called us. Janet is in Kelowna starting a new job, Shauna is in South Dakota visiting friends and family, and Wyona is somewhere between Texas and Calgary.

We had chicken thighs off of the BBQ and a salad made from new lettuce. Moiya lets one of her bunches of lettuce go to seed and then replants it the next year and that is what we were eating – but from Glen’s garden.

Moiya and Dave's lettuce ready for picking.
I like to start a meal by saying something I am grateful for. Usually that thing is water. Glen said if we are going that route, he is going to say oxygen. The conversation soon turned to AI and if people have long conversations about artificial intelligence, then I am going to assume some at the table were grateful for that.

I spend my days working in the yard.

I am good with using the roller when seeding new patches of grass – the grass seed needs earth that is compacted so they will have something stable to get their roots into.

After I had trouble getting the roller to work, Glen came over and showed me how to really compact the soil.

At one point he got down on the ground, eyes level with the new soil and checked with for high spots so that I could rake them out before planting the seeds.

As well, Glen taught me how to sharpen my clippers. I bought an 8 inch axe sharpener to do the job. Glen showed me how to put the clippers in the vice and how to get a good edge on the blade with that file. I like having a garage full of equipment that I can learn to use.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.