Friday, November 8, 2019

Five Different Meals

... on my morning walk ...
... poppies decorating The Kensington complex ...
There are five different meal plans either beginning or ending or somewhere in between at this house at any given moment.

Now every home has its own character.

I am one of five adults living together in a shared space where everyone needs a place for at least their computer and an outlet for all of the chords that will attach them to other devices.

I have been thinking about all of the negotiations that go on with so many adults living together.

One change that is amazing to me is that the notion of family sitting down together for a meal is a thing of the past – totally disrupted.

People’s schedules make it impossible to eat together.

And as for a common meal, last week one person was keyto, one person was vegan, one person had new braces that hurt like crazy, and one person could only tolerate the blandest diet possible (ie bun, hamburger, bun – do not add any condiments – he has been like that for his full lifetime).

I am the person who has a broad range of interest in food, though I remember that my job is to be on a heart-smart diet.

I have to bend down and touch them
to see if they are metal or cardboard.
They are a heavy laminated paper.
Still I have my interest peaked in what is in the fridge by way of left overs, or just food that is there in waiting for the adventurous.

For example I found Goat Yogurt (5%) in the fridge this week.

“Who is eating this,” I asked Rebecca. “Oh no one. I just bought it because I thought someone might be interested in it.”

Well, if the answer is that it is no ones, I am going to try it.

We have fascinating mornings to me, watching all of us going different places at different times – Steve to work, Alex to UVic, Duncan to Camosun College, Rebecca living out her Sabbatical somewhere and me, trying to find editing to do.

And all are passing in and out of the house as though we are room mates – sleeping in the same building, cooking in separate pots and pans, small meals that will only be good for us and not others, watching the same movie, but only because we have almost treated it as though we are gathering for an exclusive party with special invitation to be here.

This is the part of a rich family life when adults live together.

... a beaded poppy pin that Rebecca shared with me ...
I have the job of staying out of other people’s business.

Well, everyone has that job.

And living here comes with the job of also making connections with each other, travelling the rooms and halls with respect, often finding joy in each other’s company.

I am used to inviting Duncan to the HD opera with me, and having him turn me down.

Still, I want him to know that at any time, he could join up with my agenda, as would I want to join up with his should there be space for that.

And interest in my part. Tomorrow’s D & D game is just that –made for his friends and I will have my fun at the opera.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.