Friday, November 15, 2019

Perfect Reading Material

Rebecca is generous.

When I go shopping with her, she is always inviting me to put anything in the cart.

Anything.

I can never find anything I want to buy, more than she is putting in the cart.

Oh sometimes, I might want to take out of the cart some things she is putting in. That is only an initial impulse I have. If someone wants to buy every kind of mushroom on the shelves, it shouldn’t seem like an extravagance. She is merely buying food, not going down the candy isle as I might.

Now I could go down the candy isle and fill the cart with chocolate bar.  As I said, she is generous.

But that wouldn’t be all that good for me, would it? And would it be good for her?  She hasn’t had any sugar for a whole year, although there was her first small slip yesterday.

Someone brought to the office a home made chocolate, and she tasted one of Duncan’s Cadbury Mini Easter Egg as well. And if I add everything in,  she ate an apple, and one pommelo – all of which are off the Keyto diet. Other than that, she is transforming her food choices.

One day we lingered over the peppers in the store: habanero, jalepeno, peppers, the peppers from really tiny ones, to longer sweet ones from Chili. We just aren’t admiring them. We are thinking of food we could put them in, and of the gloves that we will have to use so that our hands don’t burn from the capsicum oil.

Add caption
I only wanted one item: a book I have picked up from the magazine rack and then put down on several of our grocery store trips: Cook’s Illustrated All-Time Best Chocolate Desserts.

How could a book like that make a person so happy?

It is the text around the recipes that thrills me.

A first person-voice telling me every step they have taken to produce what they think is the ultimate way to make any of those recipes.

There are side bars explaining the best food products to buy, as well as tips on pots to use.

I read the book last night, just before going to bed. 

What a way to get downtime. I curled up in a chair beside the gas fire and carefully read each sentence until my head began to nod. Then I slipped into bed, so happy to have read recipes I will never make.  Still I was so close to the food, I could almost taste it as I licked it off of the beaters.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. there are no books that do the same magic with the pomelo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone wants to put one of those in their grocery cart. But you do. And you don't mind the work of taking off the heavy peel, nor separating the segments until you have a bowl full of that fruit. Patience. You have no fears that any of your men will take any of it. And it is in the same category as grapefruit. Old people can't take it or it will interfere with their meds. So it is clear sailing for you. Won't it be nice to come off of the keto diet and be able to eat that with no feeling of guilt?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.