Thursday, November 14, 2019

On Gloves

... Rebecca's red leather gloves ...
Who gives themselves permission to buy gloves like these?
My friend Ria participates in a knitting group where they knit gloves.

While I don’t want to knit gloves, I might want to participate in that group and watch their needles click away, after reading Ria say that there are patterns for all kinds of mitts: Newfie mitts, Scandinavian mitts, plain mitts, fancy mitts.

The woman who is leading the group said she thinks of mitts as winter jewellery for the hands.

I think that is the word that caught my attention.

Jewellery.

When I arrived in Victoria, Rebecca lent me a pair of simple inexpensive gloves that a person might just pick off the rack at the grocery store or at Canadian Tire: 2 pair for $5. They are flexible and serviceable.

... the top of the glove has a a decorative line of stitching
like a pin tuck, and lined with small dots ...
... breathtaking ...
They aren’t showing wear and tear from thrusting them through and then back out of the loops attached to my walking sticks.

And she gave me a pair of red leather gloves, telling me that she has had them for some time, hadn’t put them on her hands, and that I really should use them.

I put them on occasionally, and they are a perfect fit.

I use one hand to press the fingers of the gloves tightly into my bottom of my finger and then switch hands and do the same.

The leather is so supple and the curves of the fingers so perfect that for some reason I think about the craft of the person who sewed these gloves.

I wear them for a while, just enjoying the feel of them and then I take them off.  That takes about ten minutes.   I couldn’t bear to have them show some sign of wear so all of this is done in my bedroom while I just sit for a while and admire gloves.

I am going back to Calgary and there is a good reason to have multiple pairs of mitts since we all know that in Calgary a person should also have coats for all seasons and coverings for their hands since the temperature can dip tens of degrees in one day.

... the bottom of Rebecca's glove is trimmed with a ruffle and a slit ...
I am always looking at scarves, though I will never have a reason to buy another one.

The scarf category of accessories is a black hole for me – another length of beautiful fabric that gives warmth?  Why not.

 But I really think I am going to look at the gloves more carefully and make sure that I buy some for all kinds of weather, and then a few as jewellery.

What a fabulous idea!

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.