Friday, November 8, 2019

Out-of-Your-Imagination Cookies

Alex was dying for cookies – fast cookies, no time to look at recipes, just get the butter out of the fridge and get mixing the sugar in.

He did say the words shortbread and rosemary in the same sentence, but by the time Rebecca had a recipe up on her computer screen Alex had already discovered that we only have ½ a cup of butter and was adding cocoanut oil to the mixture. Rebecca stayed with him to the end – and yes, even the rosemary got into the cookie dough.

I have to say that he offered me a bit of the cookie dough and it might have been the best cookie dough I have ever tasted.

I stood beside him while he used the drop method to get the cookies on the cookie sheet. They were evenly spaced. All 12 of them. When I checked them after 12 minutes there was a thin layer of cookie dough from one edge of the tray to the other.

On cooling, we decided they were about as close to Costco’s Lacy Cookie as we could ever get – the Lacey cookie without the chocolate covering on the bottom and with no macadamia nuts. Still, on tasting a chunk of the cookie, the word Lacey came to my mind.

He asked me if I got the rosemary flavour. I couldn’t say yes, until I had eaten some of the experiment from the other end of the pan. Definitely, next time, the rosemary should be chopped as the recipe suggested. When it is on the cookies, needle like, then I can definitely taste it.

Having had such success yesterday, Alex went to work again today on making a second batch of cookies, replicating yesterday’s method with the same result.

Pan cookies. They melted down from one side of the pan to the other.

But we don’t mind cutting them into squares when they cool.

He decided that when he makes cookies again he will measure the salt. These are over salted – maybe by 4 times he thinks.

Yes, I told him, I could not tell if the piece I tasted was a salty cookie or a sweet potato chip.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.