Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Juicer

Many years ago Rebecca participated in late night shopping on TV, buying herself, among other things, a juicer.

Steve couldn’t really understand why she bought it, but she saw it, wanted it, and soon it was delivered.

I haven’t ever seen them use that machine.

That is until lately.

Now Alex has taken to juicing vegetables, the newest combination of which is about 4 apples, 10 carrots, 4 beets and sometimes ginger root, and sometimes not.

The colour of the juice of the apples is so golden, and when the beet juice drops into the holding container, the colour of the red is so deep.

The two juices don’t mix well – like oil and water Alex and I were saying to each other. The pulp gets thrown away.

I have been watching it in the compost, admiring all of that fibre and remembering that Glen had told me that some people make bread out of the fibre in the left-overs when he makes beer.

... only with a close-up can you see the lovely red flecks ...
For a long time I have been wanting to test out cooking the vegetable fibre that is left over from Alex’s juicing and this was my morning to do it.

The bread is beautiful, speckled with red dots, kind of like those angel food confetti cake mixes we used to buy years ago.

I added about 2 cups of the fibre, maybe only 1 ½ cup, not that it matters.

The bread is moister than I might have imagined and I have been thinking about that.

I used to put cooked vegetables blended into bread I was making. I haven’t tried adding the fibre from raw vegetables, especially something like beets since they need to be cooked a long time.

Duncan and I also tested some of the dough dough to see if we could produce bannock in a frying pan.

 Mmm to the fried bread which Duncan says he hasn’t tasted before.

Curious.  I think I have pan friend 100's of pounds of bread dough.

Duncan doesn’t eat a lot of things.

He did share that this eating palette, which used to be small, is expanding.

He said it took him until he was an adult to figure out that what tastes different and what tastes he doesn’t like are two separate categories.

He said that knowing the difference has opened up a whole range of things he can eat now.

Today I found out that one of those the foods added to his “like” list is beet, carrot, apple whole wheat bread.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.