Friday, December 6, 2013

big: the musical



 ... Poster Board inside the venue ...
I didn’t see Big, the motion picture.

I didn’t Big: the Musical when it was on Broadway.

But I did see it at Calgary’s own StoryBook Theatre Society.

Gabe signing Arta's programme
Yes, the month, Big: the Musical from December 6th to the 22nd at the Beddington Community Centre.

Teague and Cherie’s family came up for the opening night – a whirlwind trip for them as they have to leave for home before noon tomorrow.

Sabrina, ready for the first notes of the performance
Nathaniel, Alicia, Chelsea, Sabrna, Andrew – all at the theatre.

Kalina Oldham attended alone, -- three years old and she was making her first solo journey away from her parents to go to musical theatre.

Greg, Wyona, Charise and Zoe attended.

Alicia, a scarf in her hair ... and at her neck
So that is about it for family but they had a topening night audience.

At next Wednesday’s matinee, all of Gabe’s Grade VI class will come to see the show – all 124 of them, which makes a sold out house for that show

Chelsea, hatted for the -27 weather outside
Gabe was fantastic.

At one point he told his mom, “I don’t know if I can sing and dance.

I am used to standing and singing.”

Cherie, willing to smile for the camera
It is not only singing and dancing – acting ... and in the show, Gabe’s character, Josh, has a best friend, Billy.

The two boys have a hand greeting when they meet.

After the choreographer taught them the hand greeting sequence, (lots of hand slapping and crossing over with their arms) she told them that every times they see each other they should practise the greeting.

Teague, hurrying back home for a gig of his own
We got to see Gabe afterwards out in the foyer.

He lined up with the other leading actors to sign programmes.

There was a fantastic opening night buffet – healthy snacks, savory snacks, even a candy table.

Nathaniel, with his dad in the background
The cast and crew are purely volunteer.

I was taken with the very excellent blocking of the theatre—one number had some clever freeze frames going on.

Gabe rolling across the stage at one point on a skateboard.

 ... Kalina who finds it very hard to share her vending machine treats  ...
He has another cute scene where he is coached on stage by his friend on the art of saying hello to a girl you like who is in line behind you, but waiting for a roller coaster ride.

Gabe has all of the moves. The dropped jaw, the raised eyebrows, the dancing eyes. Theresa wouldn’t sit through the second act unless she could sit next to Audra.

 ... Audra with a second $5 bill for the vending machine ...
So that was hurriedly arranged at the last minute. Zack couldn’t attend at all.

He was at a Boy’s Choir Rehearsal for a performance Saturday night.

Marcia should get the driver-of-the-year award since there can be no musical theatre without rides to and from rehearsals.

 ... Marcia, who has been driving to rehearsals for 3 months ...
It was a charming opening night.

Wyona and I will probably attend more than once.

3 comments:

  1. The details in your post remind me that bitterly cold in the Shuswap pales in comparison to the temperatures you weather in Calgary. Also, I am grateful David's school is smaller than Gabes. I am not ready to send out 124 invitations to any events.

    Loved seeing the faces of the performer and his family supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how you knew it was cold that night. I didn't say that in the post. So I looked back for your evidence. Yes, Chelsea has on a toque, Teague is still in a fleecy at intermission, Marcia has something up around her neck and I have on faux-fur. I think it was -27 that night.

    Cold outside. Warm and fuzzy in the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The evening came and went to fast for me. I was lucky and got to go the second night to the performance. I was Gabe's ride. It was so nice to just worry about myself and take care of myself. I saw a lot more of the show the second night and snuck a few extra pictures onto my camera.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.