Thursday, December 5, 2013

Old Toys are Good Toys

... you use this lower section and I will build the upper one ...
I like to play with the old toys ... before the new ones come out at Christmas. I need “how to use” instructions with some of the toys in Michael’s toy bins.

For example, I picked up a squirrel today that was attached to a soft fleecy blanket.

... may I have some of my own trains? ...
“Is this a puppet?”, I asked Miranda.

“Nope,” she replied, “a teething ring for Alice.”

I don’t want to make too many mistakes like that. If I can’t identify the toys for a three year old, what is there that I can still categorize?

... let's work together to build the tracks ...
When I was playing with the Thomas the Train equipment today, I was lost as to what to call each of the engines.

Ferdinand?

Diesel 10?

 Duncan?

Miranda and Michael are quick with the names. I have to look quickly on the bottom of the trains for their names. So instead I try to talk about the tracks or the wooden blocks where I can see that what I am playing with is clearly a tree ... or a clock tower ... or a stop sign. I stick to what I know.

... are you sure this little train will fit on the track? ...
The wheel base looks too small to me.
I went to Michael’s house wanting to sing today. I thought I could throw that into the mix of playing with toys. With the Thomas the Train equipment I sang, Choo choo, choo / what’s coming down the track. With the mega blocks I picked up on one of his sing and sign songs, Boom boom, ain’t it great to be crazy. The most I could get out of him was “no more boom boom, gwama”.

Alice is allowed to hold a track for 3 seconds.
Then Michael decides that track is one he needs.
Gwanma replaces that with another for Alice.
Then that one is needed by Michael.
And so forth and so on.
Yesterday I tried to work in Old MacDonald had a farm – playing with the e-i-e-i-o sequence.

 He remained silent until I tried to sing the wheels on the bus, at which point he sang e-i-e-i-o when I wanted to him say that the wheels on the bus go round and round.

That cute playful smile on his face as he tricked me? Fun when a two year old can out think his ... gwanma.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. I love their tricks. Those little grandkids think they are so funny. It is nice to see the wheels rolling inside their heads.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.