Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sibling Party

Wyona, Glen and I spent yesterday morning together. All forms of transportation came into play because the day was snowy.

Glen coming from south Calgary, knew he couldn’t make it on time in his new van by time he got to 32nd street. By 7 am the streets were packed with cars, seemingly going nowhere, at least no where faster than 30 miles per hour.

Kelvin and I took a taxi downtown.

Glen and Wyona gave up using private transportation and took the LRT.
"I can be your chauffeur, m'lady."
And by the time we all got together for our business, Greg was called on to chauffeur us for the rest of the day. This may sound like we had been drinking, but I don’t think that even a cup of coffee had come into play in the morning.

... cheese tray ... carrots for the calorie conscious
Glen’s secondary mission was to get to MEC. I don’t know the acronym, but Greg knew the genesis of Mountain Equipment Coop. During the period of the Vietnam war when Canada was flooded with draft dogers, a group of them could see there was a business to be built selling the safest and most competitively priced outdoor equipment. Down on 10th avenue they now have a spacious 2 floor business with isles of product that make even the thriftiest of shoppers reach for their wallet.

cheese cake with cararmel sauce
Glen’s aim was to get on the Trans-Canada going west and make it through the mountains while the sun was still shinning so he opted out of lunch with the three of us and we drove directly to his vehicle.

Wyona had some chili in the fridge at her house.

“Already made?”, Glen asked.

“”Yes, a pot of it in the fridge. A portion to be nuked. Do you have time for that or are you transferring right to your vehicle. I can get you some to go.”

“No. I can sit down.”

curried soup ... the pumpkin grown in Wyona's garden
Wyona remembered she had a starter to the main course: pumpkin soup made from the last pumpkin in her garden, which Glen also had time for. By the time his soup was done she had a cheese and cracker tray on the table, and dessert – pumpkin cheese cake, created from that same last pumpkin ... a quick lunch at her house.

 ... spoon in whipped cream is from Camden ...
“What restaurant would have produced a lunch like this?”, Glen asked as he waved his good-bye.

And that was the end of a perfect 3 hour sibling trip. I wish I had taken a picture of the three of us, but all I would have got was images of 3 faces with a lot of wrinkles, so I let my camera focus on food.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. Great last line. You caught me off guard and I laughed right out loud.

    Another surprise for me came at the start. On browser the title came up and the top third of the first photo. "Sibling party. 1/3 of Trent's head. This must be a post about Wyona's children getting together, I thought."

    Imagine my surprise. It was the top 1/3 of Greg's head. I always thought Trent was the spitting image of Doral Pilling ... but no, at least 1/3 of him is a dead ringer for Greg Bates, his father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I invited Glen to have some lunch or carry on to the lake and eat on the way. Arta offered Glen 'hot chill' that was sitting in the fridge. Glen wanted to know how it stayed hot in the fridge. Surprised and happy I was to know Glen would come in. Greg pulled the pumpkin soup out of the fridge. I forgot it was there. I barely finished my pumpkin soup while Arta and Glen had cleaned up the soup, chilli, cheese and pumpkin/caramel cheesecake. I am so slow at eating. My mother made me that way because she fed me in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did have a great day. It was short but exhausting. Thank you Glen and Arta for coming in for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to tell about the beverage that came to the table at our lunch. Didn't Greg bring a can of Coke that had stayed too long in the freezer? Didn't you say, whoops. Wasn't it split right through the middle with brownish frosty chips oozing out of the long crack that went from the top to the bottom of the can?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.