Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Words are Not Enough


Programme: Graham and Vlaskalic's Comrades
I attended a play tonight, Beth Graham and Daniela Vlaskalic’s Comrades. Sacco and Vanzetti were two Italian immigrants arrested during the period of the Red Scare in America (1929-1920). This is their story. A sad story about the stuggle for political freedoms gone wrong. "Words are not enough" comes closest to expressing the powerful experience of watching this play

I received an email from Nancy Buchanan telling me this was one of the best plays she has ever seen at the university. I braved the -30 below weather tonight to go. Braved is not really the right word. I had on my ski pants, an ankle length coat and gloves, a hat some scarves.

I put out a call for theatre companions but no one else was interested. Even with my UofC Retired card which gives me two free tickets, I couldn’t find anyone to go with me. Why, oh why did Tonia move away?

The December fun continues for the whole week: a Distinguished Speakers lecture tomorrow night, a string concert the next night, then a flute concert. To be more specific, Bob Disxon, Mayor of Greensburg, USA will be talking about sustainable building, renewable energy and green technologies and how they helped restore his city after a tornado destroyed 90% of the town. Friday I will be watching Gabe Treleaven.

Saturday’s performance is Gwen Klassen: flute, Rafael Hoekman: cello & Colleen Athparia: piano at the Eckhardt-Grammatte Hall. The concert is called “I could have danced all night”.

December is a great month for getting out and about town.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.