Wednesday, December 18, 2013

sittin in a tree ...

Friendship Message from School
A notice came home in David's backpack. It was titled "Friendship Message". I began skimming it as I was rushing David out the door to get to school on time. I slowed down when I hit the phrase "embarrassing in nature" and went back to read more carefully.

"...some of the children in the class were chanting songs about boys and girls that was embarrassing in nature. .... inappropriate chants for children of this age and in this place are not acceptable."

I said to David, "What is this note about?"

... sittin' in a tree ....
Note: Ring in tree is from recent trip to dentist
Now David's emotions can  be very hard to read, but I was pretty sure the emotion on his face was not sorrow, regret, or shame. His eyes got very bright, he began to giggle, and he began to sing, "Brian* and Heather* sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-d".

You know those parenting moments when perception of time changes? You are gifted with what feels like extra time to make a difficult decision? Mine was, do I tackle the message the teacher wants me to reinforce (zero tolerance for playground bullying) or do I focus on the dyflexia? I wish I could say I was the "better" person and focused on appropriate emotional reactions to the pain of others, but I went for helping him get the song right.

"-i-n-G, David".

He said, "oh, thanks", and the speed of time returned to that clock that goes faster than you want it to when trying to get out the door.

*Names changed to protect the innocent.

Bonnie




4 comments:

  1. At first I was afraid that the taunt was going to be one of the ones I had been teaching David. But no! I had forgotten about this one. I did a Google search and found that this ditty involving k-i-s-s-i-n -d/g appears in _Corner Kick_, _Truth Or Dare With Aang And The Gang! _ and probably many more books in the juvenile section of libraries.

    Now that doesn't mean that the kids should use it on the playground -- only that they should know about it when they read books.

    You have done your part well, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha,,, you girls make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,

    Kids are funny. There isn't anything much more interesting than watching them and trying to figure out what they are thinking. From my point of view, it is kind of like seeing if I can get on the same page as they are.

    I like hearing the stories about how my grandchildren are growing up. I get lots of "David and the snow" stories now, for he is enrolled in "Jack Rabbits" -- which is another name for cross-country skiing. He has the best of gifts. A fantastic teacher whose pedagogy is to teach skills through games. So David doesn't even know he is learning how to balance, how to get up when he falls, how to shift his weight. It is all done through games.

    Of course there is a huge parental investment. To get someone to the ski hill, have the lesson, and get back home takes the whole Saturday morning. But what else are Saturdays for. I used to know Saturday as the special day when we get ready for Sunday. But getting ready for Sunday doesn't involve polishing shoes as it used to when I was young. So there is time now for skiing. I was so good at polishing the white shoes that the toddler wore to church. There were always babies then, weren't there Jane? And shoes to polish for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.