Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Blackberry -- edible

In August across BC, ‘almost every bird and most people 
are eating blackberries,’ said UBC forestry professor Peter Arcese. 
‘I hate to say it, but you can imagine a rain of seed 
coming down from the birds.’ Photo by Christopher Cheung.
The Tyee had a featured story  by Christopher Cheungon on the Himalayan blackberry which I found interesting to read.

As Rebecca said to me, "Thank-you to The Tyee.  Where can you find a current article like that in today's news."

For some reason the article matched up in our minds with a set of cards Rebecca has about plants that are native to the Pacific Northwest.

And the story matches up with the berries on like side hill here at the cottage, a  hill full of prickly vines and berries just ready to be picked.

Mary brought me two handfuls of blackberries this morning, and then Xavier, Naomi and their friends Shaena, Mikaela and Crya brought me another clamshell full of berries just as they were leaving to go back to Alberta today.

Blackberry heaven.

Later in the day Mary ate some raspberry jam, but remarked that it was not home made as she wished it might have been.  If people keep picking the blackberries, I just may get some jars of jam up.  I know I could just buy some blackberries at the store and do this.  But for some reason, I am looking forward to getting the berries from my owns vines -- invasive vines.

Arta

PS  If  you want to know more about the salmonberry, as opposed to the thimble berry which is on the land where we are, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.