Saturday, August 1, 2020

A Nod to Rebecca about The Taming of the Shrew

Photo Credit: David Hou
Deborah Hays as Katharina in the Stratford Festival Production
of The Taming of the Shrew



Rebecca responded to my work with the children on The Taming of the Shrew. 

You can find her post on her WordPress63 blog.  I don't need to go there to know what Rebecca thinks about this, and the why and the how of making changes, though I did go to her blog, to read these ideas again. 

Having spent many years in her company, what she says on the there is no surprise.  In fact, I know it only scratches the surface of her beliefs.

I guess the surprise is that any of this has to be said in this day and age.

One thing that is up during Covid times?

Intimate partner violence.

How long will it be until we treat each other with the respect due another human being?  A rhetorical question, I think, one that I will return to again, -- glad, at least, that it is made visible on the large screen where we can see our collective failings and open a discuss about societal change.

For another review of the play go to The National Post where Robert Cushman writes a review on the play.

~ Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.