Tuesday, August 18, 2020

In the cool of the evening

Red light, green light
as the shades of night creep across the lawn..
This evening, Grandmother Joan Turnbull was over giving the kids supper and having playtime with them.

Richard and Miranda were cleaning up after another flood.

They have had so many floods that they no longer try to ascribe guilt to any party, though this time Richard says it was him who forgot to turn off the water from a slow drip he had on it to the lawn.

At any rate, I slipped over to dinner, which I never would do if I had remembered that it was Joan's night with the kids.

After I had finished eating, I played "Here to Slay" with Michael and Joan went outside to watch the girls ride their bikes up and down the street.

I am  not good with modern board games, but Michael is so young that I can get him to play both his hand and then help me with my hand, so that is satisfying for me.

Simon says, "Turn around."
Fun to watch Betty's hair fly in the wind.
Observe Alice's feet.  Is she headed east or west?
When the shade finally began to cross my yard, we went outside where the girls plays on the swings and the two grandmothers had Michael say everything he wanted to say.

Then all of them wanted to play on the lawn with the grandmothers.

Play is not good for me if I need a cane to stabilize me, so I watched and Joan played What Time is it Mr. Wolf, and Red Light, Green Light.

A grand evening was had by all.

Arta


2 comments:

  1. I haven't had such a perfect opportunity before to study Joan, Alice, and Betty's profiles next to one another. Beautiful.

    I have been missing Miranda, Richard, Michael, Betty, and Alice after staying with them for so long at the lake. This update hit the spot. I thank you.

    Tonight was to be an outdoor viewing of Funny Girl on BrodwayHD projected onto the garage door on Lot 3. I had to start my simultaneous viewing fr om m Salmon Arm before nightfall so I would be awake for not only part 1, but also part 2. After that, I read the first half of an abridged version on Don Quixote distributed for free by our local Children's Association. I wondered if Michael would enjoy reading it when he next comes back to the Shuswap.

    Please let the children know Zoe and I had a nice visit with their hens and roosters. We hand fed them salmon berries that were out of their reach. They were free ranging it up on Shauna and David's lot. If I overheard correctly, they began producing eggs days after their move up the hill. I sure would have loved to see the joy and surprise on the faces of their new caretakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that loss of the sense of their company, even when I saw them last night and the night before. Such a joy to watch them interact with each other, to watch them run and play, to hear them say, "Mother won't let us come over and see you." Yes, I am trying to get some work done. Miranda is right. I can't play all day and get my work done. Still, hard to lose the sense of "so much being aliveness" when they are right next door.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.