Sunday, August 9, 2020

Mullein - Using the Plants from the Land

My neighbours from back in Quebec used to make me the best cough syrup from mullein and honey.  Since I now live and Alberta and don't have a supplier, when I saw the mullein growing at the lake I thought I should make some of my own and become a supplier for the people I love.

You might think you don't know what mullein is, but as soon you see these photos you'll know what it is. Here it is by the railroad tracks.




So I picked a bucket of leaves and brought them up to the house. The leaves are so velvety.
Next step, simmer them in some water on the stove.
Pick out the leaves and strain the water through a coffee filter (to make sure you remove any of those soft hairs that the leaves are covered in).

Finally, mix your mullein water with honey, put it in jars and pop it in the fridge.  Take a couple of tablespoons of it as needed when you have a cough, especially a persistent dry cough.  I like to keep mine in the freezer.  If there is enough honey in your mix, it won't completely freeze and you can scrape some off the top and it's cool and icy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.