Tuesday, August 18, 2020

On going to Calgary

Greg and I stop to get gas at Golden
on the way to Calgary.
The sun is blinding even with glasses on.
The sun is hot; an instant skin tan.
Greg drove me back from the Shuswap yesterday.

I had to get some x rays this morning at the Foothills Professional Building (EFW).

He drove me there at 8 am and the lab was empty.

I walked right in.

The woman told to me to leave my top on, take off my jeans, leave my underwear on and tie the gown at the waist.

I rehearsed in my mind what she had said.  "Put this on, tie it around my waist which will keep the lower part of my body from being exposed, right to the ankles," I reason.  I thought, "How great is this; just a sort of wrap around."

She then handed me a bundle.

The thought, "How forward thinking of this office."

I slipped off my jeans and tied the gown around my waist. It gaped quite a bit. I definitely wasn't covered, so I decided to wear it as a side sarong. When the technician came she looked at me with a wrinkled brow.


Greg is driving Rebecca's new electric car.
The charging unit at the first Petro Can fails to work.
He moves to the other charging station.
It works.  
And the charge is free.
We laugh.

I said, "It doesn't quite fit but just this lower part of my leg is exposed and that is ok."

She pointed to the sleeves on the gown which were hanging like pockets around my waist and said, "Those are sleeves. You were supposed to put your arms through them."

I had a thought, wondering if she had considered how I had made it to 80 years old and not known that those were sleeves.

I said, "I thought you told me to take the gown and tie it around my waist."

She couldn't really hear those words through my mask and she chose to soldier on down the hallway.

I tried to follow her.

I walk straight forward with a dignity I did not feel, making my way to the x-ray room, gown gap at my side leg and dragging close to the floor.

"Careful you don't trip," she said.

Next time?

My arms will go through the armholes and then I will tie the gown at the waist, just as I have for the last 60 years, except for this time.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Your description of your alternative fashioning of how to sport your hospital gown was priceless. Such an odd one-size fits all article of clothing. Surely the design could have been improved upon in our lifetime. Thank you for making me laugh with your writing.

    I have a celebration to share. I successfully stayed calm before, during, and after receiving my second dose of the shingles vaccine at my old pharmacy next to my old medical clinic. A proud milestone for me in relation to Dr Henry's mantra, "be calm, be kind (including to yourself), be safe." Just wanted you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I did want to know how the shingles shot went. Taking care of my health is a new act. In the past I thought it was the doctors job. Now I keep a binder to remind me of where I am just been in regards to my health, and in what direction I am headed.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.