Thursday, July 4, 2013

Canmore Park

I want out of this ray of sunshine. It isn't enough
Give me the wide open spaces of Canmore Park!
On a hot, muggy day, Richard said, “Hey, our family spent the afternoon in Canmore Park.” There was an instant when I wondered why anyone would drive up to a flooded out area for a picnic. That is when I remembered that there is a leg of Centennial Park in our community, a leg called Canmore Park. On the east side of the tennis courts is a wading pool ... a perfect gathering place for community (for toddlers).

“We met a new friend, Isabella, who is Michael’s age. She didn’t want to share her ball which is exactly what we would expect from him as well. That was OK with us though her parents wished she would share. She did want to hang around with us all afternoon, which was double OK and a bonus. ”

Richard and I sometimes talk about what it is like to live in an older community. Our homes don’t have the shine and gleam of newness. Nor do they have the wonderful space of newer homes. For example, the master bedroom (in our two homes that are side-by-side) has only one closet, not even six feet wide That space has to be shared by two people. That fact alone is enough to make a person want to move to a bigger house.

Richard, Miranda and I also talk about the marvels of living in this older residential space as well. There are good playgrounds: the Banff Trail school ground area has been re-designed by an architect and is not the dusty field of Richard’s childhood days. There is the unnamed playground space just off of Morley Trail. There are beautiful swings and a park at the Tri-wood Community near Wyona’s, which is within walking distance of us. And now – the water features at the wading pool which is an addition to the community since my kids have grown up. I remember playing at Riley Park and I remember memorable family picnics there when I was a child, but that area was a drive away, not one within walking distance.

I am learning a lot about the walking distance from my home these days. How far can I go on foot is a question always at the front of my mind. I am having one of those one hundred thousand mile health check ups. When I get a “September MRI all-clear” signal, I am going to drive again. Until then I have hung up my keys and am timing myself wherever I go on foot.

I have already found that I have more shopping centres within walking distance than I have money to spend at them. I have also discovered that when I am travelling with Wyona and Greg, I give myself permission to spend more money than I do at home. For example, there is no way I would purchase expensive jewellery within walking distance of my home. If a pair of earrings isn’t both half price and under $10 I can pass.

I spend more of my time in the open spaces than in the malls. This will be true, at least until winter closes in on us again. Right now the summer is warm and there is much to enjoy ... within walking distance of my own home.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.