Friday, September 16, 2016

HD Live Measure for Measure

Mariah Gale as Isabella and 
Kurt Egyiawan as Angelo in 
Measure for Measure at Shakespeare's Globe 
Photo: Marc Brenner
Measure for Measure is playing HD Live tomorrow.

Here is the review from The Telegraph by Dominic Cavendish. I trust in my reviewers to give me the flavour of what I will see.

I am due for a brush up on the characters and the plots, though I do remember seeing this show performed when I was a teen-ager.  It was done in our local chapel and I was pretty well amazed by it.  The next time I see Johnny Wilcox I will ask him if he was one of the actors.

In Susannah Clapp's review she says "order may have been restored, but happiness has been banished.

We shall see.

Here are famous quotes to look for:

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt." (Act I, Scene IV) 
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall." (Act II, Scene I) 
"Condemn the fault, and not the actor of it?" (Act II, Scene II) 
"O, it is excellent To have a giant’s strength; but it is tyrannous To use it like a giant." (Act II, Scene II) 
"The miserable have no other medicine but only hope." (Act III, Scene I) 
"If thou art rich, thou'rt poor; For, like an ass whose back with ingots bows, Thou bear'st thy heavy riches but a journey, And death unloads thee." (Act III, Scene I) 
"Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful." (Act III, Scene I) 
"O, what may man within him hide, Though angel on the outward side!" (Act III, Scene II) 
"Truth is truth To the end of reckoning." (Act V, Scene I) 
"What’s mine is yours, and what is yours is mine." (Act V, Scene I) 
"Haste still pays haste, and leisure answers leisure; Like doth quit like, and measure still for measure." (Act V, Scene I)
I had to take a quick peek to see what the title means.  So here it is for you, Duncan and Alex: What's Up with the Title.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.