Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Second Try at the Follies

Imelda Staunton in Follies
I had a perfectly transcendent afternoon.

The Follies, the music and lyrics of Stephen Sondheim, filled the theatre.

I had 2 hours and 35 minutes of pure bliss.  The costuming was incredible.  The music lush.  Sometimes exquisitely dissonant.

I had a Coke beside me and a few lemon and orange candies to suck in case I began to fall asleep.

This was the show where the music stopped midway when I went with the Brooks family in Ottawa.  So it was nice to revisit it.

My days seem filled with movies, the theatre and ballet.

Is this heaven?

Arta


2 comments:

  1. Sondheim is always a winner. So fun of sound and lovely dissonance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get a chance, I will see the Follies again. You are right. The music was spectacular. I could see the conductor just off of stage right, but only occasionally. Lately I noticed that the musicians can be found everywhere: on stage, in the balconies and still even ion the pit.

    As to plays, I noticed that after a few years, Timons of Athens is back. I missed that the first round, so I am going to make sure to see it in 2018.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.