Thursday, January 18, 2018

An Empty Theatre

I was an hour early for the show.  That is much too early since the theatre was only peppered with couples here and there -- 2 men, a mother and a daughter, two older woman, an older couple that looked as though they were on their first date and a few singles like me.  One of the single men must have ordered the biggest popcorn that the concession sells.  He didn't look like the kind of guy who would share or I might have changed seats.

A Woman of No Importance was fantastic.  A period piece.  I am so glad that I have seen other pieces by Oscar Wilde.  As I was waiting for the show to begin, I was remembering that I took Wilde's Salome along with me when I was in college and we were on a Mixed Chorus Tour of northern Alberta.  The choir director told me to put that down and get out there and have fun with the other kids.  I might have done what he said, but I finished the book as well.

The English language is exquisite when it is handled by the masters.  Watching a show is much better than having to read it.  There was a small allusion about Hannah turning Samuel over to Eli in the temple.  I think fewer words were used in the play that I used in that sentence.  But it was chilling to me to hear the richness of the language.

Thank you Shakespeare, Chekov, Wilde, Moliere, Tennesse Williams ....

The quintet that did the music were masterful -- the temperance song just a riot, as well as other cautionary tales sing with the older woman's voice as the focal point.  She was no opera singer. And she really made me laugh. Even their exits and entrances to the front of the stage were well performed.

Coming on Sunday?  Romeo and Juliet from the Bolshoi.

And I think on Jan 25, Exhibition on Screen: David Hockeny and the Royal Academy of Arts.

It is all a lot of fun.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.