Friday, January 26, 2018

Hockney ... and 82 Portraits

Hello,

I went to see David Hockney at the Royal Academy of Arts.  The subtitle is a better expression of what I really did see:  a Bigger Picture 2012 and 82 portraits and One Still Life 2016.

When I saw this event was coming, I felt a little ashamed, having had so much spare time in London and never having been to the Royal Academy of Arts.  I did get to the plaza in front of the building, but I shall not count that as really getting there.

Two Cokes and some excellent hard candy to suck kept me awake, and it was well worth it.  When we were looking at the portraits, a few times I laughed.  He set out to do 82 portraits and gave himself 3 days to do each one.  He didn't think he could ask for more time from his sitters, who were all his friends, business associates or children of friends in one case.

This is one exhibition that made me wish to take an art class.  I would love to draw something with economy of line that also captured what I was seeing.

I recommend this event to all.  Here is a synopsis from the Events part of the Cineplex.com offering:
Synopsis 
Widely considered Britain’s most popular artist, David Hockney is a global sensation with exhibitions in London, New York, Paris and beyond, attracting millions of visitors worldwide. Now entering his 9th decade, Hockney shows absolutely no evidence of slowing down or losing his trademark boldness. Featuring intimate and in-depth interviews with Hockney, this revealing film focuses on two blockbuster exhibitions held in 2012 and 2016 at the Royal Academy of Art in London. Director Phil Grabsky secured privileged access to craft this cinematic celebration of a 21st century master of creativity. 
Directors
Phil Grabsky

I went to buy a ticket 2 Tosca for Saturday.  The seats are 88% sold out, only 42 left and those seats are the ones at the front of the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.