Monday, January 13, 2014

Double Pleasures

 ... my dad likes me to rest my hand on his chin ...
I have double pleasures.

The first is living at the Shuswap and having some of my siblings live within walking distance of my house.

I can visit them on a whim.

I just have to run along the road or take a short-cut through the lawns of the two-cabins and I can have a quick visit anytime of the day or night.


... so why is he talking to my grandma in person
and my Aunt Rebecca on the phone at the same time ...
"I can report a little further.
Aunt Rebecca wants to know what happens
when you forget to put the butter in the butter horns."
My double pleasure is that in Calgary I live within walking distance of Wyona and in twenty minutes I can climb enough hills and turn enough corners that I can be at her house.

I guess my pleasures are really triple, because right next door I have some grandchildren whom I can shovel snow with in the winter, and whom I can watch on their play equipment in the summer.

Richard dropped in to my house with Alice Saturday night.

He had been up to Mike Card’s house where all of Mike’s brothers and sisters had gathered, as well as Mike’s parents, his grandparents and all of Mike’s nieces and nephews (6 of them under 5, I think). In the course of the evening Grandma Card asked Richard where he lived.

... I've just come back from Mike Card's house.
He is my dad's friend from their teen years ....
“Well, you know Frank who is in the ham radio club with Lester? I moved into his house and it happens to be right next door to my parents,” Richard said. “The only thing that is missing from the house is the ham radio antenna and Frank took that with him.”

“I could drive right to your house,” she said. “I know where that is.”

I am practising getting 2 fists in my mouth
So Richard and Alice slipped by late at night, to tell me they had met old friends of ours at a dinner party. Old friends who know right where he lives.

Only if a mother lives next door to her son and daughter-in-law can a quick visit like that happen.

I enjoy my triple pleasures.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. How can I remember any text when the pictures cause so much oxytocin to be flooded through my system? Those eyes. Those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was on the phone with him during that photo!? how fun is that! (more fun than having forgotten the butter in the butter horns)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. You were on the phone with him during that photo. And just 30 seconds before that I was on the phone with Bonnie Wyora and Richard came into the room. She said good-bye so that I could speak with him. And then before I even had one sentence out of my mouth, you called and he picked up the phone. At that moment, I just thought ... well, even if he lives next door, it doesn't look like I am going to be able to talk with him, so I will just reach for my camera and entertain myself by taking pictures of "Baby Alice" as Michael calls her.

    Now is the time to call her that. Richard says that she is going to be taller than Michael, so Alice gets to be Baby Alice to me as well ... until she passes my height, at least.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.