Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lunch with the Johnson's - Part I

"And now there will be a test about Canadian affairs."
Doral and Anita came to visit us on Friday, December 20th – a lunch date at our house. Everyone has grown. I had to use the scales to weigh Dalton and get out my tape measure. He is 154 pounds and 5’ 10 ¾ ‘ tall. Is that good, he asked? It is only good if you want to be tall.

I relearned something about their family – especially about Doral. He is Canadian to the core, -- giving us national quizzes like ... who is on the front of the $5 bill. No one seemed to know. Doral gave hints. The man is Scottish. He was Canada’s first Prime Minister. He owns a chain of restaurants. Not even Connor could come up with his name. Looks like there are not enough fast food visits going on among us.


"I am a lot taller this year."
The second question from Doral was harder. Whose face is on the $10 bill? Whose face is on the $20 bill. I can understand how no one knew whose face was on the $50 bill. Those bills don’t appear in my wallets much. And the other faces? The money just slips through my hands so quickly I don’t have time to look at whose face is on which bill. Together we spent some time together studying Polygamy’s Rights and Wrongs book. Dalton was thrilled. “Wait until I tell my friends. My feet are on the front of a book about polygamy.” Bonnie Wyora was less thrilled to see her feet there. I pointed out to family members that some people in the room have their feet on the front of the book as well as their picture on the second page of Chapter 5. Back and forth we flipped from the picture of Richard’s wedding, to the picture of the feet on the front of the book.


I wanted to take a snapshot of some of the people in the room.

 Doral obliged by climbing on a stool to get taller than Richard, as he did in the wedding shot. Doral isn’t taller than Richard, even standing on a stump in the wedding picture. But he was taller when they were all in the kitchen together.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.