Saturday, January 11, 2014

LRT Side Adventures

I have a side interest in using my crock-pot, a method of cooking that is new to me. I have owned the crock-pot for years. I just haven’t used it. Miranda has a new cookbook called Crock-Pot: The Original Slow Cooker Recipe Collection. She lent the book to Kelve. The cover says the book contains more than 500 crock-pot pot slow cooker recipes. I purchased a similar book at Chapters for Kelve – the same title, but only 350 recipes. A step down. Now I have looked at his book so much I don’t want to give it to him. Why would I pass it on. I have annotated some of the recipes, added a list to the front cover of book, the list containing recipes I want to try. Already I have organized my weekly menus around some of the recipes.

So when Michael and I were on our LRT trip, we got off at the Dalhousie Station so that I could make the purchase of a second book – this time one I will really give to Kelvin.

... these wheels don't seem to stay on this track ...
As an added bonus and in the back of my mind was the fact that over in the corner of Chapters where there are children’s book might also be a nice play to play.

 Michael had already told me that he wanted a hot dog, which I think is code for enjoying an eat-out associated with Costco, but the LRT was not going to drop us off in that direction.

We were well entertained without food.
... we can make it up this hill and over the bridge ...

There is a Thomas the Train play table, not as sophisticated as the two that Ron Treleaven made for Zach and Gabe – but still a table of great stature.

At the table were three engines that work and one that kept falling apart. Michael thought all of the engines were his.
... Do I really have to share? ...
Sharing is not a two year old’s forte.

He could give up some of them up when other two year olds joined him for play.

I sang train songs as I sat there and suggested new train routes or ways to fix crashes that occurred.

One of the fathers corrected me when I said that I was driving my train over to the tower to have it filled with grain.

“That is a water tower,” said the father.

Thereafter I passed all of this knowledge onto other two year olds even making the appropriate water gushing sounds when they would lower the pipe to their trains. It is good to keep learning.

... over one bridge and onto another ... with a hill as an alternate route ...
I did not know how we would make an exit from the store.

I wouldn’t have even been worried about leaving the store at all, but I know from experience that when I keep little people out too long and their mother’s don’t know where they are, that they worry.

So I began to plan my escape from the train table, which escape opened up when another little boy left a dump truck at the train table. Michael took that dump truck and rolled it right up to the front doors of Chapers where I paid for the cook book. I slipped him into his stroller and then left the dump truck there, saying goodbye to it until next time.

Yes.

LRT side-trips are good adventures.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. I love the concentration on his face in the first photo. In the last his lips look pursed for making the train sound.

    Thomas was such a huge part of David's early years. I thought I would always know the names of every engine. I think that is Rosie hooking up to Henry in the first photo but my confidence has waned. Naomi, was Rosie your favourite train one summer?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.