Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Walrus Talks


David and Connor Pilling and I went to the annual High Performance Rodeo many years ago. This event is now in their 28th year. My friend, Carolyn Qualle, asked me to come along with her to The Walrus Talks: Tomorrow.

The Walrus Talks Tomorrow features eight of the country’s leading thinkers as they tackle the issues of our times – and those of tomorrow.

Each person gets a blank slate of seven minutes to lay down their ideas on the theme.

This year there were few empty seats in the Jack Singer.

The line-up included some of the country’s brightest minds, featuring:

Giller Prize Award-winning author Joseph Boyden

Best-selling author and journalist, Diane Francis

2013 Governor General’s Literary Award finalist, author, Nina Munk
CBC Radio host and advertising guru, Terry O’Reilly

World-renowned mobile app developer, Michael Sikorsky

Juno Award-winning musician Shad
Professor, author and critic, Aritha Van Herk&lt
Award winning physicist, Neil Turok

Of course I had a wonderful time.  So many excellent one liners, which I thought I would remember forever, but now, a few hours later, I can only remember a few.

I rode the LRT home.  I sat across from a couple who had also attended the event and I listened in on their conversation.  For a flavor of how the evening went, you can go to the walrus.ca/tv

This was a grand way to finish off what has been a lovely day.  I spent the morning and afternoon at Kelve's house ... a rare treat for both of us to have a free day ... and to spend it together.

 Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.